Welcome

Hi, I am Don Sath. If you like to learn
about people and culture, you will here.
I hope you find my story interesting.
Come back for the rest yet to be written.

Homedee

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Arriving In Thailand

We arrived at the border as it was getting dark. The crossing
was a mountain passage. As we were stopped at the check point,
the tractor wagon I was on started to roll backwards, but the driver
was quick to gain control of the situation and saved us from rolling
down the mountain. When the border watchers were satisfied
with our reason for coming to their country, we were ushered in to
Thailand. Beyond the check point, as we got deeper into Thai
territory, there were other refugees that had gotten there before
us. The commotions went on all night with helicopters ferrying
people in from Cambodia, I assume. I went to sleep in the midst
of the chaotic activities to await a new beginning.

At this point I want to present the situation of the refugees that
would come into Thailand later on from Cambodia. We, being the
first waves of refugees, got a red carpet treatment from the Thai
government due to the presence of the U.S officials
in Thailand. The U.S had just withdrawn from Cambodia before
the country fell. What I'm about to expose of the situation is
from a book I read concerning the matter that transpired.

There are two accounts I will mention:

1. 600 or more refugees were shipped out by army trucks
driven by Thai soldiers to a cliff and probably pushed
off the cliff at the border in a secluded area. There were no
other explanations of what they might have done with them. Due
to how they did treat other refugees that sought refuge
in their land, the conclusion is not too presumptuous according to the author.

2. 40,000 were forced back after they were stripped of the little
valuable possessions they had along. They send them back by
way of rugged terrain laiden with land mines. How many survived,
no one knows. They either died by stepping on land mines,
died of starvation and thirst, or died by the sword of the Khmer Rouge.

If it had not been for humanitarian organizations coming to our aid, I hate
to speculate the plight of my people in the time of our distress.
The quality of mercy wasn't there from the Thai government, nor
from the UN, though their aid was much appreciated on behalf of
my people, thought it was not without a price for them to get gain at the
expense of the unfortunate. The Thai government relented later on
after they saw the plight of my people. On behalf of my Khmer
people, I want to thank all that brought relief to our suffering. I
know this is 30 years late. I was not the one that experienced
the winds of calamity that did befall us. I was too adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment