Welcome

Hi, I am Don Sath. If you like to learn
about people and culture, you will here.
I hope you find my story interesting.
Come back for the rest yet to be written.

Homedee

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Climate Change and Unfamiliar Things

We arrived in late fall, I would guess in the
month of November 1976. We all experienced our first colds and
snowfalls. I would put a cup of water out during the night, and the
next morning it was in the form of ice. Now that was really "cool" in
my understanding what being "cool" was. If we had to rely on
evolutionary processes, we could not have grown a fur coat fast
enough to ward off freezing to death.

Military personnel acted as guards to keep law and order for us
rowdy boys. They introduced us to snow ball fights. I remember
one time we creamed them so bad, that we didn't know when to stop.
We learned not to do that to them again. Sorry guys, we didn't mean
to hurt you.

More chocolate milk please! Here we are introduced to drinking
milk. Everyone fought for the chocolate flavored milk; plain milk
was a last resort. The Asian stable is rice. We know how to have a
"rice" day, every day--not just some days. Well, Arkansas is a
rice growing state as I later learned. But the way Americans fix rice
is not anywhere close to how we like our rice. Burnt bread? Toast?
Jelly? Heaters used as toasters? Sitting to take one's ease?
We like squatting much better. We all needed potty training, at
least I did anyway. Every knob, switch, and lever are becoming
inquisitive objects.

For evening entertainments, buses would come around and pick
up those who would like to go. They took us out of the base
to a church building, I would assume. They had puppet shows,
ventriloquists, and movies. Of course everything was foreign to us.
I don't think it was every evening, maybe twice a week. When they
brought us back to our barracks, there would be deer along the road
and in soccer fields. I never saw a deer in Asia, I know we had them too.
Rabbits were everywhere. I'm sure that they were hunted for meat
to grill. Stones to throw at them were the best weapons we had.
Didn't know the method of shaking salt on their tails to catch them.

One evening a group of people wanted to go on a hike out into the
woods. We were stopped by the guards. Maybe they
thought that we would escape back to Asia, or they were afraid
we might get lost, or simply we are not allowed to leave the
premises. I think it was the latter. I was disappointed myself.
We insisted, they insisted, and they prevailed.

English classes were open for people who wanted to learn. I must
have learned a few words myself. I probably didn't apply myself to
the learning of the language like I should have. Our stay in Arkansas
was short. I would guess it was less than a month before our group was
summoned to come to Iowa. By saying group, I mean the four families
that had been together all this time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Don.

    I just read through your blog. It is interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete