Welcome

Hi, I am Don Sath. If you like to learn
about people and culture, you will here.
I hope you find my story interesting.
Come back for the rest yet to be written.

Homedee

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Leaving Asia Behind

When our time came to leave, we had to get up in the wee hours of
the morning to get to the airport and go through all the paper
work. I remember seeing the sun coming up when the plane
lifted off into the eastern sky. I didn't really care where we were
going at the moment. Sorry Cambodia, I didn't shed a tear for
you when I left you behind, but I have shed tears for you
since then.

The flight would have taken 20 hours or more across the ocean.
I don't know where we stopped. Anchorage, Alaska, could have been
one stopping point. Our destination was Little Rock, Arkansas.
We were placed at a military base. Yep, they enlisted us into
the military armed forces to fight for Mr. Bill Clinton so he could be
our next president in the coming years. I know that he has denied
that we did such thing for him back then, but we were happy for
him when he became our 42nd president of the United States
of America.

From there, every family awaited sponsorships from one of the
48 states. While waiting, we boys played soccer against the
Vietnamese boys that were among us. The Khmer against the
Viet. When there was a dispute, there could have been fights
to settle the score. To get the litter picked up, guards
paid us a quarter per person.

I was sick when we arrived in Arkansas. I think I was sick before
we left Asia. Salt water must have got the best of me, especially when
there was no fresh water to rinse off the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment