Welcome

Hi, I am Don Sath. If you like to learn
about people and culture, you will here.
I hope you find my story interesting.
Come back for the rest yet to be written.

Homedee

Monday, May 4, 2009

As Refugees In Thailand Part 1

Like I already alluded to, the first waves of refugees were well-
received by the Thai government. The refugees were moved
farther into the interior, away from the border, free of any clashing
between the Khmer Rouge and the Thai soldiers. They moved
us at least three times. We were given liberty to travel about in
the surrounding areas. Having plenty to eat was not a problem.
Each family was even given a cash allowance each month.

One of the places that the Thai government had allowed us to
stay was in a monastery ground. Facilities were already available.
No, we didn't chase away the monks. We were separate from
them. I believe all the refugees were Cambodians. There could
have been Vietnamese also. The shelter was modern with board
structures and tin roof. Business was conducted among the
people and natives, though it was limited I'm sure.

Men could go out to look for work. I went along whenever I could,
which I think was about every time. One time we went to a mountain
to pick stones to load up dump trucks. We camped out at the
mountain until the work was finished. I think they told scary stories
at nights. Asian people are superstitious.

One particular job was digging trenches for pipelines across
rice fields with mud and water to contend with. The paid was
defined by the length, width, and depth per trench. My guess was
that I could do three trenches or less in a day. Being the young boy
that I was, I don't think I broke any records. The men were helpful to
complete what I couldn't by day's end to notch me a trench more.

At another time we just went to look for work. The other times, our
work was known before we ventured out. This time we hopped on
a tap-tap (a kind of transportation--if you can hang on, you're in
for the ride of your life). We would stop here and there to inquire for
work until we happened upon one. Finally, we chanced upon picking
silk worms and other odd jobs. I believe the men had a limit as to
how far they wanted to venture out from camp. At this particular
place, a Thai family that had taken a liking to me had asked the men
if they could keep me as their son. Well, I assume they
objected to the request imposed upon them, because I'm here
in America writing this journal for you to read. If it was up to me to
decide if I would like to stay with them, I could have said 'yes'.
I assumed the men had disclosed to the Thai couple that I was alone
in Thailand without immediate family members other than my cousin.

I want to clarify who the men are. Some of them were the people
I was with from Oddar Meanchey and some were from outside of
the group. All together, from five to ten were in the group. I don't
want to leave a wrong impression of hundreds of men scavenging
for work.

After work had dried up in this particular place, there
weren't any tap-tap for our return trip, so we had to walk on foot
across rice fields full of water to get back to our base. It was
a tiresome trek for all of us as we had to walk through water.
We came upon a monastery and took our refuge there for the
night. Being that monks only eat one meal per day, having food
on hand is not a common thing at a monastery. They had to
go out to beg for their sustenance every day. But it must have
been a festival of some sort when the common people would
bake certain goods and bring them to the temple. It was not
strange for us to know that. That was a blessing as we were
given the leftovers. Some tasted on the spoiled side. We
roasted them for a crisper, crunchier taste. By roasting the baked
goods, it helps to preserve them longer. The baked goods were
wrapped with green banana leaves and cooked in water.

Some may ask, " how do you communication with the Thai
people being you are Cambodians"? Either one of us knew how
to speak Thai, or those Thai people near the boarder knew the
Khmer language. There are also Khmer Surin living in Thailand.
They could speak both languages. Khmer Surin are Cambodian
people who got sucked into Thailand when the Thai moved their
boundary farther into Cambodia territory. We call it an infringement.

No comments:

Post a Comment